Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"Aaron, I'd like you to meet your new roommates." Across from me were two boys.
"Aaron Aadi, Balthasar Addo." A lanky boy with big blue eyes. He was skinny and had longish wavy dark hair. A lock of it kept falling into his right eye. He smiled at me like a wild animal, all teeth and mouth wide open. His glinting arm seemed like it should be dragging him down. He was much taller than me, almost as tall as Samantha. He reached out his hand, I took it. It was delicate, almost too small for his proportion.
"Hi, Aaron." I nodded. I didn't have to say anything to him. Samantha put her hand on his shoulder, he looked at her and laughed. It was sudden and jarring, loud like a seal braying. I flinched. The other boy giggled.
"Aaron Addi, Cadmus Akuji." He was my height, pale, with blue veins by his eyes. A wide face and soft, like he'd never been outside. He was behind Balthasar and walked toward me like he wasn't going to stop. Thick stumps for legs, pumping like pistons, comical in their single purpose. He had wispy, blonde hair, as if there wasn't enough of it on his head. He stopped in front of me and raised his new arm at me. He put his natural hand on top of it and yelled.
"Bang! Bang!" He made shooting motions. I didn't know what to do. Cadmus giggled. His head moved like a buoy in water. I laughed nervously, it sounded like a sigh.
"Now, Cadmus. Be kind."

No comments: