Monday, August 28, 2006

These are the names and order of the graduates:

Aaron Aadi, wisdom.
Abott Abhay, knowledge.
Bade Abba, artillery.
Balthasar Addo, tactics.
Cadee Abarne, knowledge.
Cadmus Akuji, artillery.
Daffyd Abdullah, wisdom.
Dimitris Audland, tactics.
Ea Abel, tactics.
Edwin Absolom, wisdom.
Fabrizio Adalia, knowledge.
Fairfax Adair, artillery.
Gabriel Adelio, tactics.
Galeno Aden, wisdom.
Hajari Aderyn, knowledge.
Hector Adlai, artillery.
Ige Altsoba, knowledge.
Ilya Amiel, wisdom.
Jamon Amiri, artillery.
Jedrek Analu, tactics.
Kafele Anando, artillery.
Kame Anemone, tactics.
Lajos Anwar, wisdom.
Laramie Alair, knowledge.
Maeron Ancelin, tactics.
Mahon Arif, wisdom.
Naolin Asa, artillery.
Nowles Ash, knowledge.
Oakes Admon, knowledge.
Orestes Aila, tactics.
Paolo Aderes, artillery.
Parrish Adora, wisdom.
Qamar Abril, knowledge.
Quasim Abia, wisdom.
Rainier Adarsh, artillery.
Reynard Atalo, tactics.
Salim Acacallis, knowledge.
Sancho Agnes, artillery.
Tao Alpana, tactics.
Tian Amaya, wisdom.
Uday Alameda, tactics.
Ulysses Alistair, wisdom.
Vadin Alma, artillery.
Virote Alohilani, knowledge.
Washi Aaliyah, artillery.
Wei Arcelia, tactics.
Xanti Agu, knowledge.
Xia Aglaia, wisdom.
Yardan Annick, tactics.
Zevi Avedis, artillery.

I heard music begin to play. It was Dmitri Shostakovich's Quartet #8. Then a voice over a microphone. Then a name, Aaron Aadi. I moved. I walked out of the curtains. I stared in front of me. There was a sea of people. Staring. Fixated on me. I couldn't imagine that this many people could fit into an arena, let alone an entire planet. I couldn't hear anything. My heart was beating like drops of water in a giant cavern, loud and reverberate. It seemed like the people were frozen, staring at me. I heard my heart beat two times inside of me. I remembered to turn at five seconds. Approach the podium. Stay stoic. Take the diploma with my enhanced arm--a gasp loud enough to swallow my heart beats--transfer it to my right hand, walk to my designated spot. Face the crowd. Wait. For one more dreadful moment the gaze of the entire crowd was drilling into me.
Then, "Abott Abhay, school of knowledge." Then, "Bade Abba, school of artillery." Then, "Balthasar Addo, tactics." Then, "Cade Abarne, school of knowledge." Then, "Cadmus Akuji, school of artillery." And my brothers, one by one, surrounded me.

No comments: