Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Samantha took me into a bright room. There were clear lights all over the room. The light seemed to just be light. Not eminating from anywhere, as if the bulbs were auxillary, just an unlikely coincidence that the light happened to be inside of them. There was a heavy chair in the middle of the room. What looked like a giant upside-down tuning fork was suspended above it, heavy wires wrapped around it like jungle vines. Close beside the chair was a table with doctor's instruments on it. In one corner was a halfcircle console station with lots of colored lights and buttons. I wanted to touch them. Samantha greeted another doctor that approached us. One was sitting behind the console.

"Samantha, hello. This must be Aaron." He patted me on the shoulder. He didn't look much different from any of the doctor's I'd seen in the last few days. Tall, clean features, perfect hair. He smiled at me.
"Ready, Aaron?" I shrugged and stared at the console. I was nervous.
"Okay, Aaron. This is a great moment for you. Now, you're going to sit down here. Then I'm going to give you a shot with a needle. Don't worry, it will only be a small prick. Then the vector plates are going to start to spin around you. You'll see lights spinning. That's okay. When it is done spinning, I'm going to program your left arm. And then, Aaron, you'll be able to move your new arm. Simple, isn't it?" He was crouching on his knees, and when he said this his face exploded into a smile. I laughed, I couldn't control it. I didn't want to. But it came out.
"Okay, Aaron, sit down." I sat down in the chair. He took a needle from beside the table, swabbed my arm with something cold and orange, and looked at me.
"This will only tingle for a minute. I'm giving you something that will help your body understand your new arm. Ready?" I nodded.
"Look at those big eyes. You'll be fine."

He put the needle in my arm and I watched the small amount of clear liquid dissapear behind the needle's plunger. I felt it in my body, my shoulder felt cold where he put it in. The chill moved through my body.
"I feel cold."
"It's okay, Aaron. You'll be fine. Just relax. I'm turning on the vector plates now, its important to stay still, okay, Aaron?"
"Okay."
There was a slight noise and the giant arms began to spin slowly around me. In a moment, they were moving so fast that all the light in the room was caught up like cotton candy and spun around the vector plates, wrapping me in a cocoon of light. I could see my reflection in it. A heavy hum surrounded me. I couldn't hear anything except my breath. I couldn't see anything except a flickering reflection of my face. My eyes looked huge. I was panting. A red light streaked across in front of me. Then two, and it looked like it came out of the reflection of my eyes. Soon, blue and green streaks joined the red ones. It was scary. I started to squirm in the chair. I couldn't remember how long I was sitting there. It felt like forever. I began to think that they forgot about me. That I was stuck forever in this. The lights were swirling everywhere, they were moving so fast it seemed like they were making noises. I lifted my right hand in front of my face and it was a blur. I couldn't make out any fingers, any discernable shape. It looked like a blurry, too up-close picture. I put it back down frantically and sat on it. I shut my eyes. I could see the colors passing even through my eyelids, faint and viscous. I let out a hesitant yell. I couldn't hear it.

And then I heard the hum slow down. And in a moment the arms wound themselves down and stopped spinning. The cocoon dissipated into the rest of the room, and I was staring at Samantha and the doctor. I was sweating. I was breathing heavy. The doctor laughed.
"You look like you've seen a ghost, Aaron." I gulped a breath of air.
"You're all right, Aaron. You're fine. Beautiful, wasn't it? Like travelling through space. Although, you were probably asleep during that. Beautiful." I stared at him. He was looking above me. I pushed my hair out of my face.
"Okay, Aaron. Now I'm going to program your new arm. Brace yourself like I was going to push you, okay? It won't hurt, but your body will be excited to use its new arm. Stay calm. Can you do that, Aaron?"
"Okay."

He grabbed my left arm and moved his hand over the shiny surface, searching. He lifted a panel.
"Okay, Aaron. On three. One. Two." He looked me in the eyes, "three." And suddenly a thick, heavy pulse dropped into my left arm. Like a giant raindrop slipped down my arm and pulled me with it. It took me halfway over the side of the chair. Then I felt a pain in my head and I pulled myself back into the chair.
"Ouch." I rubbed my head with my right arm. The doctor laughed again.
"Look at that, already using your new arm. Careful, Aaron. It is metal."

I still felt the throbbing in my left arm. It was like a new heart was growing in me, calling for attention. I lifted my new arm slowly in front of me. It moved. I bent it at the joint. The light slid over it like water. The throbbing dissipated. A calm numbness came over me. I couldn't stop staring at it. It moved like it was part of me.
"What does it do?"
"Well, Aaron. I think thats what you're going to find out next."

No comments: