Thursday, July 06, 2006

"Son, you've made a good decision. Your parents would be proud." I just wanted to leave.
"We're going to take you to a camp now, with a lot of kids like you. You'll have a lot of fun and learn a lot of new things." He looked at his colleague shutting his briefcase.
"Ready?"
"Yeah. I'm just glad we didn't have to show the video." I used to like it when my dad showed me videos.
"Okay then, lets go."
"When will I get a new arm?"
"At the camp. There are a lot of nice people there who are going to help you and show you how to do everything you said you wanted to do." All I remembered was wanting a new arm.
"Okay."

We left the hospital. The doctor nodded at me as I left. I saw the nurse with her arms folded looking just above my head. I waved. She nodded and turned down the hallway. The doctor waved.

They took me into their car, well, thats what we call them for convenience sake. Much different, but the same idea. It holds 6 people and gets you from one end to the next. Really a magnetic conversion that lifts the car along the ground and propels it forward. Its all based off the magnetic pull of Mars' core, but I barely understand the concept so I won't try to explain it. It goes fast.

They took me in their car and drove me to the camp. It was in the middle of one of the larger parks in Roanoke. One in the inner sector in the goverment subdivision. We pulled up to a check point where a man looked at the two men's ID cards. we were let in and drove down a well shaded drive. The sun shone dappled on the ground. All shades of green were on display.
"Its pretty here."
"You'll love it, son." The two men looked at each other.
"Son, we're going to drop you off when we get inside. Don't worry, they'll know who you are. You'll be welcomed. But you'll have to wait in a line to get your ID card and new clothes. Then you'll get a chance to meet all of your new friends. Okay?"
"Okay." I was scared. I had never been around more than 5 people at a time since I'd been on Mars. And I was in cryo-sleep the whole shuttle ride over from Earth. I didn't want to meet anyone like me. I made up my mind that I wouldn't talk to anyone unless they were an adult. And then only if they asked me a question.
"All right, son. Here we are. Are you ready?"
"No. I don't want to go." The two men looked at each other again.
"Okay, we'll wait here for a couple of minutes until you're ready. You have to be strong. Your doctor told us you're very strong. I'm sure he wasn't lying to us."
"I don't want to meet any new kids."
"You'll love them. They're all waiting to meet you." Children waiting to meet me was even more frightening than them not caring I was there.
"How many are there?"
"Oh, a dozen or so. But don't worry, stay strong and you'll be all right. You'll become fast friends with them."
"Will you come in with me?" The two men looked at each other again. The passenger turned and put his hand on my right shoulder.
"Okay, son. As long as you promise us that you'll stay strong. No matter what."
"Okay." The two men looked at each other again. They grinned and looked at me over their shoulders.
"Ready, son?"
"I guess so."
"Okay, lets go."

They took me out of the car and walked me toward the front of the building. It was giant and shaped like a broad, upside down pyramid. Sort of like the pyramids in South America, but turned on its head. It made me look up. The two men walked with their hands on my shoulders.
We came to the door, a new man greeted my two drivers.
"Johnson. Johnson."
"Bill."
"You two didn't need to come here. You know you can just drop the boy off."
"We wanted to see him off. He's a brave young boy."
"They all are. He's no different."
"Well. we're here. And he's ready. Ready, son?"
"I guess so." The man at the door looked at me critically. He was old and had white hair and a broken nose.
"Come on in, child." The old man said.
"Bye, son."
"Bye." I missed Johnson and Johnson.

The old man led me toward a desk. A middle aged woman wearing a gray dress sat behind it. There was a computer in front of her flat along the desk.
"Hello, child."
"Hi."
"Would you like to know your name?"
"I know my name."
"Well, I'm going to give you a new name. Wouldn't you like that?"
"No. I like my name. My dad says its a strong name."
"I'm sure it is. But we need to give you a new name so that we can better keep track of you while you're here. Don't worry, you'll like it, I promise." I didn't think so. But I didn't say anything.
"Okay. Well, Aaron Aadi, nice to meet you." She tossled my hair. I tried to straighten it.
"Here's your card. You'll have to keep good track of this. And here is your first pair of clothes. Change into these when you reach your room. They'll be much more comfortable than your hospital garments." I forgot I was wearing hospital garments. My new clothes were gray and smooth. They looked nice. The old man started to lead me away. I turned back.
"Lady, I forgot my name."
"Aaron Aadi. Your name is Aaron Aadi."

1 comment:

Heartichoke said...

more, more, please.