Saturday, July 15, 2006

I didn't feel that when I left the operating room. I couldn't feel the left side of my upper body. The doctors lead me to another room. A woman with a computer was sitting down at a table. There was an empty chair and a glass of water with a prescription bottle beside it on the table.
"Aaron Aadi, weclome. My name is Samantha. Please take a seat. We have a lot to talk about. You can't feel anything on your left side right now. You were given local anesthesia to numb you during the surgery. Please, take this pill and drink the water."
"I don't want to sleep."
"Oh, no Aaron, this is only a painkiller. You won't sleep. Soon, the anesthesia will wear off and without this pill you will be in a lot of pain from the surgery. This is to prevent that pain. You will need to take one every four hours today to prevent any lingering pain. Don't worry, this is a very good thing. You have a new arm! I'm sorry you don't remember this morning, it was a very exciting time for you."
"It doesn't look like an arm."
"Yes, we have a lot of explaining to do. You are a very courageous and strong boy, Aaron Aadi. You have gone through more than many people will go through in their entire lives. To have survived proves your courage and strength. That is why you are here. You are one of the first groups of children to make the Mars Children of Strength Orphanage their home. We are honored to have you. In fact, we chose you because of how strong you are. And with our help, you will become even stronger.
Now, about your new arm. You told our agents that you would protect the Colonies of Mars against any threat of harm or violence from the dogs and any other percieved eminent danger. We accept your humble and courageous sacrifice for the protection of the Colonies of Mars. For this, we are very honored to have you. And for this we want to help you as best as you can. That is why we have given you this new arm. If the times were not as they were, if there was no danger, this would not even be an option. But time is not changing, and through your consent, you recognize the need for your sacrifice. For this, you have much greater wisdom than any other six year old outside of this orphanage. It truly is an honor to be able to teach you and watch you grow.
Your new arm is capable of many great things. It will become a great asset to you. In time you will learn how to use everything it is capable of. But for now, you will need to learn how to do the most rudimentary tasks using your new arm. In fact, as soon as we are done here, we will go to the programming center and activate your arm."
Her words were waves over me. They put me in a sort of trance. My eyes were fixed upon my new arm. It was marvelously shiny. It was hideously out of place. My left side of my body began to tingle and wake up as the anesthesia wore off. I could feel sharp tingling waves washing over me, washing down the curve of my left arm. My arm felt alive. It felt alive apart from me.
"The surgeons and scientists on Mars are capable of great works. Through their skill, your new arm, upon activation, will connect with your neurotic parambular nervous system. Almost immediately you will begin to use your left arm for balance and motor functions just as naturally as you now use your right arm.
"After your activation, we will then meet your new roommates. You have three roommates very much like you. They will be in every one of your classes. They will become your new friends, friends that you will be able to trust and rely on for the rest of your life. You will have the opportunity to get to know them and recieve your first assignments today before supper and bed. Tomorrow, you will begin your classes. You will begin to learn how to use your new arm. You most likely went to school before. You will have curriculum similar to your old classes along with your training. We want you to learn not just about your new duty, we want you to know about the world, just as your parents wished for you; to give you every opportunity to grow in strength and success.
"Now, I know I've covered a lot of ground. Do you have any questions for me?"
"Why do I have a new name?"
"Yes. We believe that the trauma of the events that happened to you--to all of the children here at the orphanage--was so great that when you woke up after the events, you woke up new. In essence, Aaron Aadi, your life started over again. Your new name reflects that change. Your new name is a symbol of hope. Hope for you. Hope for Mars. Hope for the future. And your new name also serves a practical purpose. Your decision to serve is such a great commitment that we hold ourselves greatly responsible to keep you safe. All of the names for the children here help us keep track of where you all are. Your name is Aaron Aadi because you are one the first to come here."
"I don't understand."
"Yes. That's all right. You will someday, Aaron. Aaron, do you notice any tingling on your left side?" I nodded.
"Good. That's the anesthesia wearing off. You probably feel the tingling in your new arm? Yes? You won't understand, but that means your neurons are connected. It is a part of you, don't be afraid. But the neurons aren't mapped out yet. They don't know how to make your new arm work. So now, we are off to the programming center. And when we get there, we'll show your body how to use your new arm. Are you excited, Aaron Aadi?"
"Yes. I think so." The tingling feeling was going through my entire body. It was coursing through me. I wanted to shake and run and jump. We stood up and Samantha took my hand. I could hardly keep still to walk quietly beside her. I felt this way when I watched the storms from inside of our house in the outlays. Like I could see out every part of my body.

1 comment:

Brother Matt said...

sounds like a deal to me. except you'll have to show me how to do it, too.