Wednesday, November 08, 2006

* * *

A dirty red spot on the horizon marked the arrival of our host family. We were sitting on the ground, flat-footed, resting on our haunches, our arms crossed over our knees, staring. The red dust was swirling in front of us like some kind of smoldering beacon. I felt like the pillar of God was tired of leading us and coming to take us away. It took ten minutes for the transport to pull up beside ours. Our driver got out to greet our host family. We sat, tense, with heavy lidded eyes. The side door of the host family transport slid open like a sharp intake of breath. A small face stared out of the shadows at us. We stared back. The driver and passenger doors opened and a man and woman stepped out. They approached our driver. The man was around five foot ten, thick and square. He had thick hair, dark brown and dark tanned arms. He walked intentionally, like his steps were planned for him. The woman was maybe an inch shorter than him, reedy. She had thick skin. She breathed through her mouth, slightly open, showing yellow teeth. Her hair was yellow like a wheat field and coarse. She walked to a beat, ceremonially, like a coronation. They were both so silent. Balthasar shifted. The woman slowly turned her head toward us and back toward our driver, expressionless. The small face in the shadows continued to stare. They stopped in front of the driver. He said hello and shook hands with the man.
"Let's meet them." Said the man. Our driver looked at us. We stood up. They walked toward us. Slowly.

The man drew within 5 feet of us and nodded. He stopped. We nodded.
"This is Elizabeth, my wife." She looked at each of us.
"A pleasure." She said. Maybe, for her. I didn't think so.
"Balthasar."
"Cadmus."
"Aaron Aadi."
"David." He said. "I heard about your names. Interesting."
We were never briefed on how to interact like this. We just stared at them.
"I'd like you to meet our son, Jack. Jack!" He yelled his name, and the small face stepped out into the Martian sunlight and turned into a young boy, probably 12. He walked toward us, eyes wide. He was a boy. Small features, soft skin, big eyes, thin fingernails. His hair was brown, his eyes were blue. His hair was soft, bouncing in the wind. He walked directly toward Cadmus and stopped in front of him. He looked at his father, and back at Cadmus.
"Hi." Said Cadmus. He looked at David, and back at us and down toward the child. He was nervous. The boy just looked at him with his big eyes. Then he reached out and touched Cadmus' new arm. Cadmus flinched. and stepped one foot backwards.
"I don't. I mean. I." The boy grabbed his arm and started shaking it. Cadmus was frozen, filled with uncertainty, his eyes were enormous and his mouth was wide open. The boy put his face against Cadmus' arm and lifted his feet in the air, putting all of his weight on Cadmus.
"I. Holy. I mean. Hi, Jack?" Cadmus was terrified. Balthasar and I looked at each other and tried to hold in a laugh. I was relieved it was Cadmus and not me.

David began to laugh. It sounded like galloping horses. Cadmus looked at him and smiled nervously. Jack was still hanging off of his arm.
"I'm Jack."
"Hi. I'm Cadmus."
Elizabeth was smiling. Her teeth were glinting.
David spoke.
"Afraid of children. Well then. Your meals are not free." He chuckled.
"I'm not afraid," said Jack.
"I've never met a kid before. I mean, not since I was a kid." Said Cadmus.
"Well. You'll get used to him." Jack dropped to the ground and stood underneath his father. David put his hand on his head.
"We're an hour away from the farm. We need to get going. You'll meet our daughter at home. She is preparing dinner. I want to warn you, in case you're afraid of little girls, too."
Our driver nodded at us and shook David's hand again. "I am leaving. Boys, don't forget to report to the general tonight. Goodbye."
"Well then, boys. Get in the transport. We have some travelling to do."

No comments: