Friday, July 14, 2006

My father, on Earth, fished a lot. I would go with him. There was a river on our land on Earth. I made myself a pole out of a young maple branch and wax-coated string. I told my father I was going fishing by myself. I tied a hook and a red and white buoy to the string. I put a worm on the hook. My father tried to help me, but I made it all myself. I walked to the bank of the river and held my pole over the river. The worm fell into the river immediately. I had draped it around the hook. I didn't want to hurt it. It didn't matter. I sat there for an hour. I was calm. Content. I sang songs to myself like my father did. He sang so softly that I never heard the words. I made them up as I went. Geese flew overhead. The river was my rhythm.

I saw a fish on the river bed. I didn't expect it. I think it must have been a bottom feeder. All I remember is that it was brown. My hands shook as I held the pole so the string dropped above the fish's head. The byoy held the hook too high. I started shaking the pole to get the fish's attention. The buoy moved. The fish stayed in place. It moved its fins slowly.

My heart began to move inside of me. I remember that I had to go pee very badly. I moved down the bank and tried to get the hook in front of the fish's eyes. I thought that fish would bite hooks. I thought the worm was for decoration.

I started to hop nervously. I was sure that any minute the fish would swim away. I became frantic. I didn't know what to do, so I just held the pole over the water, the waxstring made a dimple in the soft current of the river. I was in agony. I was panting. I decided to try to put the pole in the water, but the buoy held the hook in the same place, a foot above the fish's head. And the fish stayed there, in the same place, undulating.

I stayed there, hopping, wishing I could pee, terrified that the fish would swim away. My heart was jumping all around inside of me. It was hot, and it itched. I swear it wanted to jump out of my body and tear in half.

Finally, frantically, I tried to poke the fish with my pole. It darted away in a cloud of silt. I thought that anything inside of me that was in place had fallen. I sat down and cried. I stood up, stared at the river with growing determination and anger and threw my fishing pole into the river. I turned around and ran home.

I remember my father holding me in his arms. He was always warm. When he held me, everything that was wrong, everything that fell apart, was in its right place.

No comments: