Thursday, July 06, 2006

"Son, some men would like to talk to you." I woke up to the doctor's voice. I looked and saw two men in government suits. Men like these came by every quarter to assess the growth of our settlement. I looked at them, they grinned.
"We'll go down to another room, doctor." Said the man on my left. He had a satchel.
"Why don't you come with us, son." I looked at the doctor, he nodded. I got up. It was about a week after the doctor had told me about my family. Since then he had been stopping by during my walks. I got up and walked whenever the nurses told me too. And when I was done I would lay back down on my bed and stare. I liked the doctor. He didn't say much. I liked how he called me son.
"Okay."

I walked with them into a room down the hallway. It had a desk and a video monitor.
"We've heard about your situation, son." Everyone called me son at the hospital.
"We want to ask you a few questions." I thought that I could answer their questions. I looked at the one talking. Government attire is a cross between a suit and working clothes. Easy moving gray colors layered with light overcoats and black shoes. Almost like country clothes you'd see in the American Midwest, but without the flannel patterns. The material is light and sturdy, they have shiny buttons, and everything seems polished. I always liked their clothes. They seemed mysterious and comfortable.
"How would you like to have your arm back?" Their questions were easy.
"Okay."
"Would you like to have your parents back?"
"Yes."
"Do you think you can?"
"No."
"Then what instead would you like to do about it." I hadn't thought about that yet.
"I don't know."
"Would you like to kill dogs?" I was scared of the dogs. I didn't even know what they looked like. I couldn't remember them.
"No."
"Why not?"
"They're scary."
"What if you scared them?"
"I hate dogs."
"They hate you. Wouldn't you like to hurt them, too?"
"I'm not supposed to hurt anyone."
"What if it was okay?" I hadn't considered that as an option.
"After all, they killed your parents." I started to cry again.
"I want my mom."
"Your mom is dead. The dogs took her away from you. They killed her and your father. They would have killed you, too if your neighbors hadn't scared them away." I wanted my mom back.
"I want my mom back!"
"You can't have her back. She's dead. Now what are you going to do about it?" I put my head down and kept crying.
"Son, you can have a new arm. You can kill the dogs that killed your parents. You can take away all the dogs so no one will have to hurt like you do anymore on Mars. You can be a hero. And we can help you." I liked heroes. I liked my arm. I wanted mine back. Everything else was confusing. I didn't want to think about it anymore. I just wanted to leave.
"Do you want this, son?" I thought so.
"Yes."

No comments: